David Cameron’s claim to back the NHS was shot down when more Tories attacked our healthcare system.
Three of his Shadow Cabinet – Michael Gove, Greg Clark and Jeremy Hunt – called for the health service to be dismantled. They claimed it was “no longer relevant” in a book, “Direct Democracy”, co-authored with Tory MEP Daniel Hannan.
Mr Hannan sparked outrage by calling the NHS a “60year-old mistake” on US TV. This will be lapped up by the GOP as socialised medicine. In fact Trump has already reffered to it with scorn.
Just looking at the sheer number of scandals Jeremy Hunt has been involved in, it’s hard to understand how he’s managed to keep any position in the cabinet:
- In 2009, Hunt had to repay £9,500 of taxpayers’ cash in claims for his second home expenses.
- In 2010, Hunt gave a civil service job to the daughter of a friend – a Conservative Lord who’d been the director of one of Hunt’s companies.
- In 2010, as Sports Minister Hunt blamed ‘hooligans’ for the 1989 Hillsborough disaster – in which 96 Liverpool fans died, a third of them children or teenagers.
- In 2010, Hunt was caught hiding behind a tree trying to avoid being spotted going into a private dinner with the Murdochs.
- In 2012, Hunt and his advisors were caught leaking sensitive information to Rupert Murdoch’s office when Hunt was supposed to be handling the company’s bid to take over BSkyB.
- In 2012, Hunt was caught dodging more than £100,000 in tax in a property deal.
- In 2012, Hunt was in charge of the Olympics security fiasco, in which he paid millions of taxpayers’ money to private company G4S who were so incompetent the army and police had to step in.
- In 2013, the British Medical Association said Hunt displayed “complete ignorance” after saying he thought the abortion limit should be changed to 12 weeks.
- In 2013, Hunt used £4,000 of taxpayers’ money to pay for language lessons so he could learn his Chinese fiancee’s lingo.
- In 2016, thousands of junior doctors plan to quit NHS after Hunt imposes new contracts
Thought bubble of *unt hiding behind a tree. He can’t even hide behind a tree successfully without being seen, stupid ghastly cretin that he is. How much longer do we have to tolerate these idiots controlling our lives?
And yet he is in charge of Dept of Health overseeing the dismantling of our NHS in favour of private sector cronies. The lapdogs of a right wing press dutifully telling stories daily of a collapsing health service provide the mood music (propaganda). The NHS is defunded (austerity cuts) it’s employees demonised (greedy junior doctors), just wait for the Consultant’s contract renewal and the Daily Fail will pop it’s cherry. Nurses being treated like students of media studies having to pay for their traing while working on the wards. Defund, demonise and dismantle in to discrete parcels for tender to the private health sector. Hey we become America, job done. I have summarised but you get the drift.
I have to mention TTIP because the Goverment doesn’t this is the trade agreement with the USA which includes opening our public services to private sector BUT it doesn’t have to be that way at all. The EU is negotiating this for all member states but it is possible for the UK to exempt the NHS from this treaty ( and any other public service) but they have to do it and not claim it’s all Europe’s fault when all the health companies swoop on the NHS. Make no mistake private health care is chomping at the bit to swoop.
In the event that we leave the EU we would apparently have to negotiate separately, but the principle still stands: we can exempt whatever services we like. If the government really does want to save the NHS – which I doubt.